These lemon chicken thighs are wonderful and tangy from lemons, fresh thyme, and pungent garlic, making this dinner undeniably delicious. Make it for lunch or dinner. Serve it with roasted vegetables and a side of rice.
It's summertime and lemons are in full swing. These hot summery days are the best time to incorporate lemon into your meals. This lemon chicken recipe does just that.
The marinade is my favorite part of this lemon chicken dish. It's simple to make, packed with garlic and herbs, and the marinade can even be made ahead of time. You only need to marinate the chicken for 60 minutes to create a tasty supper.
Lemon Chicken Marinade
- Lemon. You will need lemon zest and juice. The addition of the zest will emphasize the desired lemony taste.
- Olive oil. Use a nice quality olive oil. Your marinade is only as good as the ingredients you put in it.
- Garlic. I like to be generous with this ingredient. It adds so much flavor. Are you a garlic girl?
- Spices. Parika and Aleppo pepper adds a nice smokey-like flavor. Feel free to use smoked paprika.
- Herbs. Fresh sprigs of thyme have a wonderful earthy flavor. It works so well with lemon and garlic.
- Whole-grain mustard. This is my secret ingredient. Like the lemon, whole-grain mustard is going to add a nice sharp, tanginess that works perfectly. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
How Long Should You Marinate Chicken with Lemon?
I recommend marinating this chicken for at least 60 minutes. Also, because there's acid in the marinade, do not marinate it no longer than 4 hours. The acid will break down the meat fibers and cause an unwanted mushy texture.
What Are the 3 Essential Components of Marinating?
Here are the 3 essential components I consider when making marinades.
- Fat. I like to use a nice, rich olive oil as the fat of choice. Avocado oil is also an option.
- Acid. This can include lemons, oranges, pineapples, or even grapefruit.
- Spices. The options are pretty endless here; there's paprika, garlic, onion, oregano, etc.
What to Serve with Lemon Chicken
- Shred it into the oven juices and serve as incredibly tasty tacos.
- Serve alongside broccoli or your favorite roasted vegetable and plain white rice.
- Once baked, store in a container with a slice. Once cool, dice it up and enjoy over salad.
- Use it to make an awesomely delicious chicken salad. Hey, why not?
How to Store
Once the chicken has cooled. Store it in a container with a lid and place it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to Freeze
Before cooking, preserve the lemon chicken in the freezer for up to 6 months. Just make sure it travels straight from preparation to the freezer.
After cooking, once cool, store in a freezer-safe bag and place into the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Crave-Worthy Recipes to Try.
Roasted Chicken and Potatoes. A delicious cider-based rub full of amazing spices like garlic, paprika, and earthy oregano adorns this roast chicken and potatoes.
Chicken Chili Recipe. The smoky flavor of ancho chilies is combined with tender chicken and a host of delectable spices to create an incredible chicken chili recipe.
Lemon Chicken Thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest about 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice about 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 8 pieces chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 1 large lemon, cut into wheels
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, wholegrain mustard, garlic, paprika, aleppo pepper, salt, and pepper. Whisk ingredients until well incorporated.
- Place the chicken thighs in a baking dish. Pour the marinade over the chicken. With tongs, flip and coat each thigh until covered in marinade.
- Place the lemon wheels in between each thigh.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes for the final browning.
- Once an internal temperature reaches 160-170°F, take the baking dish out of the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve while hot.